With a higher than average poverty level of 12%, good for a rank of 37 in the US, and an uninsured people percentage of 14% (27th), combined with federal public health funding that ranks 24th in the US, according to Trust for America's Health, the state of Washington has public health indicators that show a need for more of a community health focus.
There is only one accredited public health university in Washington, but it has over 60 specialized programs at all degree levels and a hybrid option. There are some out-of-state online options as well, and it seems with the public health indicators for the state that there should be ample opportunities for employment, and to help out the community, later on down the road.
Online MPH Programs Accepting Applicants in Washington
When you are looking for the right degree program, there are some important factors to consider. Do you want to complete your degree online? A lot of people will want the most convenient option along their path, while still expecting the same level of quality as traditional programs.
- The online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University (MPH @ GW) prepares public health professionals to make a difference in communities around the world, helping students succeed in advancing the health of populations locally and globally. Complete your MPH in 12 months. GRE waivers available.
Click here for admissions information.
- UNC's Gillings School of Global Public Health, top-ranked on U.S. News' most recent list in 2015, offers an online Master of Public Health program, MPH @ UNC.
Click for admissions information from OnlineMPH.UNC.edu
- The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health offers fully online, part-time master’s degree and certificate programs, designed for working professionals. The Online Programs for Applied Learning (OPAL) focus on emergent industry sectors that have a resounding need for highly skilled professionals. These flexible, online graduate programs are currently offered in the fields of Patient Safety and Healthcare Quality, Population Health Management and Spatial Analysis, and can be completed in as little as 2 years. Request Information.
- At Purdue University, you can earn your Master of Public Health (MPH) Online at a university world-renowned for its accomplished faculty and research expertise. Study Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Health System Administration, Environmental Health, Behavioral Sciences, and more with the Online MPH, which can be completed in a little over two years. Purdue University’s Public Health Graduate Program is an applicant for accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Click for admissions information at Online.Purdue.edu
Washington CEPH Accredited MPH
CEPH accredited programs are the most reliable for public health programs. While online degree programs can be found in large numbers, you want to be sure to research the accreditation of your chosen program prior to enrolling.
The choice to move forward to a Master's level program is one that could potentially change your life for the better. Depending on the field that you choose to specialize in, you could be making a direct or indirect impact of the quality of life for those surrounding you within the community. Take a look at some of the MPH programs and specializations available in Washington.
- MPH - Health Services
- MPH - Community-Oriented Public Health Practice
- MPH - Health Systems & Policy
- MPH - Maternal & Child Health
- MPH - Biostatistics
- MPH - Environmental and Occupational Health
- MPH - Epidemiology
- MPH - Global Health
- MPH - Social & Behavioral Issues
The University of Washington
Currently, the University of Washington dominates the public health education space within the state of Washington. It is the only CEPH -accredited school of public health in the state.
However, the U of W does not lack on number of offerings. The university has public health degree offerings at every level: 4 bachelors programs, 40 masters-level programs, and 18 PhD/doctorate programs.
Overview of Public Health Degrees in Washington
As the population of Washington grows closer to 7 million, residents may be starting to think about what is needed to protect themselves against widespread illness, disease, or poverty.
Public health professionals work hard to develop planning and programming to redirect negative trends associated with the overall health and wellness of the public. In Washington, 12% of the public is living in poverty, while 14% is living without insurance. While these factors are common throughout all U.S. states, it is important for Washington residents to consider public awareness programs and services for individuals that are within these groups.
The vulnerable population deserves the best services from public health organizations, as well as the many citizens that frequent society as well. The state of Washington has 29 MPH programs available through the University of Washington. While students have the option of choosing from a variety of different specialties, the quality of education is the same regardless. If you can see yourself fighting for better health for all, public health is an excellent place to sew your roots. You can get started by looking into one of these innovative degree programs today.
Epidemiologist Careers & Salary in Washington
People living in the state of Washington are subjected to beautiful landmarks and landscapes within their state. This is one of the greatest places to live throughout the country, making it an ideal place for public health professionals. Epidemiology may be growing into one of the most popular career paths for public health professionals. In this line of work, people take a deeper look at diseases and illnesses in order to better understand them. If these professionals can comprehend how they were formed, where they are located, and those that are most susceptible to them, they can create more helpful programs to protect the public from them. This data can be shared with hospitals or schools in an effort to make people aware of their existence. Prevention programs and educational awareness programs can be developed by epidemiologists to share what they have learned with the people living in different areas.
Public Health Salary and Jobs
- Average Salary: $81,750
- Salary Range: $55,030 to $157,770
- People Employed: 270