For some interested learners, there is no end to their desire to move forward with their degree programs. Achieving the highest possible degree within your discipline can provide a sense of satisfaction beyond what can be gained through undergraduate and master’s programs. At the top of the ladder, the Doctor of Public Health programs are the most involved and most sought-after degrees for students within this field. If you are considering moving into DPH programs, but need the flexibility of online degree programs, you may be please to find out that there are reliable programs available for you to choose from. Our team of educational experts has provided this guide to help you along your way.
The DPH degree program is focused on the managerial and leadership aspects of public health organizations all over the country. If you have an interest in providing guidance and expertise to public health agencies seeking to improve health and wellness, this could be the degree program to choose. As you read through this guide, please take into consideration the need for choosing reliable and reputable degree programs – in order to get the most out of your efforts in an educational program.
The Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH) is an excellent resource for students that are seeking accredited programs through an online setting. Without accreditation, a degree program may not provide well in terms of employment in the future. Students may not also gain the necessary information needed to be effective leaders within the field of public health. The CEPH provides a list of accredited DPH programs on their website, totaling 3 at this degree level.
- Loma Linda University: Loma Linda University is a leading provider of online DPH programs. This university currently offers a CEPH-accredited DrPH program for students interested in pursuing a Health Education specialization. Most students that take part in this program can complete it in around 2 years after obtaining the MPH. Students that are entering from the bachelor’s level may require 4 years to complete the program.
- The University of Illinois at Chicago: Students that are looking for a reputable university with a history of excellent educational programs may be drawn to the University of Illinois at Chicago for their DrPH program. The DrPH – Leadership degree program at this school offers students the option of learning more about management within the entire field of public health. Skills learned through this degree program can help students achieve their goals of becoming a leader in organizations that promote overall public health.
- The University of North Carolina: UNC-Chapel Hill currently provides an excellent CEPH-accredited online DrPH program for students that want to pursue greater endeavors in the field of public health. UNC has an excellent online curriculum that includes concepts that can help create effective leaders within the field of healthcare. Ethics, policy, and program planning are just a few of the topics you may learn more about while in this program. The DrPH – Health Leadership program at this college may be a great option for students that want quality and substance with their degree program.
Why the DPH?
The Doctor of Public Health degree program is an excellent way to learn the most about the application of public health policy and management within the field. This degree program calls upon upcoming students that have the desire to dedicate their time and effort to investigating the policies and principles that go along with public health agencies. If you are the type of learner that wishes to know everything about a particular subject area, than this is likely a degree program for you to consider.
In undergraduate and master’s level public health degree programs, students may take part in courses that help broaden their understanding of what public health is from a professional point of view. Depending on whether or not students choose a specialty, they may get a more focused outlook on the concentration of their choice. At the DPH level, students are given the opportunity to learn more about leading teams of public health professionals in a way that promotes validity, change, and improvement for society’s overall health.
Your decision to move forward into a DPH program could open up doors in higher-tier positions within government agencies, local government, healthcare, and even business. Showing that you have the dedication and knowledge of a doctoral-level learner can sometimes pay off more than you could have ever imagined. If you have the desire to enroll in a DPH program online, you should consider enrolling in a CEPH-accredited DPH program today.
What Specific DPH Program Areas?
- Health Education: One of the most popular concentrations for DPH students is within Health Education. Educating the public is a huge component of what public health seeks to achieve. However, some students that choose this specialization may also use their expertise to teach others that are seeking to enter into the field of public health. This type of degree program would be a great choice for students that want to work for colleges or universities that offer public health education.
- Leadership: At the doctoral level, students may have the opportunity to learn more about what it takes to become an effective leader in public health related fields. This type of concentration is relevant to fields such as business, government, or even healthcare. If you know that you want to become a management official in the future, but not sure exactly which sector of public health you want to be employed, this would be the best specialization for you to choose for your DPH program.
- Health Leadership: Health Leadership can provide students with expertise that is needed by professionals that are employed within the healthcare field. This specialization may contain concepts such as Health Informatics and Health Policy, which are both relevant to hospitals and healthcare centers that provide care to patients on a regular basis. Through this concentration, you can learn to organize and maintain large groups of employees in order to maximize effectiveness in the healthcare field.