Hawaii stands apart from other states in its secluded location and remarkable attractions. Since this area of the U.S. is set apart from the rest, it is vital to consider how vulnerable the population is to widespread illness or even disease. These considerations highlight how important of a focus that public health is in this area, and how much it should be supported by people living here.
Overview of Public Health Degrees in Hawaii
Residents of these islands rely on the services of healthcare professionals to ensure their health and wellness while living in this area. If you may be considering public health as a primary degree focus, Hawaii is a great place to find available degree programs at local universities. In this state, the most prominent university for obtaining a degree in public health is the University of Hawaii. This university offers 5 different MPH paths for learners, which can open doors in different career fields, depending on student interest.
The 1.4 million and growing population of Hawaii is dependent on the insight and professional expertise of public health professionals. Ranking 34th on the state poverty index, this state is in need of educated health-oriented professionals to help intervene with individual health needs. 8% of Hawaii's population is currently uninsured, making the need for intervention programs and public education programs a high priority.
- The online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University (MPH @ GW) prepares public health professionals to make a difference in communities around the world, helping students succeed in advancing the health of populations locally and globally. Complete your MPH in 12 months. GRE waivers available.
Click here for admissions information.
- Baylor University’s Master of Public Health online program can be completed in as few as 18 months. Serve communities in Texas and around the world. GRE scores are not required to apply.
Click for admissions information.
- UNC's Gillings School of Global Public Health, top-ranked on U.S. News' most recent list in 2015, offers an online Master of Public Health program, MPH @ UNC.
Click for admissions information from OnlineMPH.UNC.edu
- MPH @ Simmons, the online Master of Public Health program from Simmons College, prepares students to become public health practitioners and address health inequity at a local, national, and global level. The program can be completed in 21 months. No GRE required to apply.
Click for admissions information.
Online MPH Programs in Hawaii
The online forum has grown into a massive educational foundation for busy learners. Using online platforms, learners can exhibit their knowledge through the use of technology such as virtual discussions and cloud-based dropbox features. Students that choose to use online courses for their education may have a better chance of maintaining their current working position, without having to sacrifice any daily comforts currently present in their lives.
MPH degrees in Hawaii are available in different convenient formats, which are suitable for professionals that hold current full-time positions, or those with prior obligations. The online MPH program consists of core classes that envelop the philosophies of public health, as well as some of the practical applications of public health education and research. Concentrations for this degree program can range from administrative to scientific in nature, making this a great field for a very diverse group of people. Some of the available degree programs are listed below.
- MPH - Epidemiology
- MPH - Social & Behavioral Health Sciences
- MPH - Health Policy & Management
- MPH - Native Hawaiian and Indigenous Health
- MPH-MD - Joint Degree Program
Epidemiologist Careers & Salary in Hawaii
Although Hawaii is smaller than other states in terms of population, there is a high influx of tourists and visitors from other regions. With this movement of people in an out of the state, the need for disease prevention and awareness is at an all-time high. Epidemiologists in Hawaii are a valuable piece to the puzzle of citizen wellness. If you are considering a career path that can play a role in preventing widespread illness or disease, epidemiology is a path to consider. Salary data is listed below for you to review.
- Average Salary: $67,010
- Salary Range: $41,000 to >$100,000
- People Employed: