With 131 public health degrees in Florida available for students interested in the field, you are sure to find something for you. Florida has 83 masters/MPH degree programs and 44 PhD in public health programs, both of which are more offerings than the average US state.
Florida also has 4 bachelors programs in public health, which may not seem like a large number but is comparable with the other 20 or so states that have universities offering a bachelors program. Many interested in public health need their masters degree, and many MPH students have their bachelors from a different field, such as nursing (BSN).
- The online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University (MPH @ GW) prepares public health professionals to make a difference in communities around the world, helping students succeed in advancing the health of populations locally and globally. Complete your MPH in 12 months. GRE waivers available.
Click here for admissions information.
- UNC's Gillings School of Global Public Health, top-ranked on U.S. News' most recent list in 2015, offers an online Master of Public Health program, MPH @ UNC.
Click for admissions information from OnlineMPH.UNC.edu
- At Purdue University, you can earn your Master of Public Health (MPH) Online at a university world-renowned for its accomplished faculty and research expertise. Study Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Health System Administration, Environmental Health, Behavioral Sciences, and more with the Online MPH, which can be completed in a little over two years. Purdue University’s Public Health Graduate Program is an applicant for accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Click for admissions information at Online.Purdue.edu
- The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health offers fully online, part-time master’s degree and certificate programs, designed for working professionals. The Online Programs for Applied Learning (OPAL) focus on emergent industry sectors that have a resounding need for highly skilled professionals. These flexible, online graduate programs are currently offered in the fields of Patient Safety and Healthcare Quality, Population Health Management and Spatial Analysis, and can be completed in as little as 2 years. Request Information.
Overview of Public Health Degrees in Florida
In terms of great places to live, Florida is right up near the top of the list. This beautiful state has the amenities that people search for when seeking a tropical place to call home, while also providing a stable place to settle into a career. The state of Florida's population has grown to over 19.5 million over the last few years, making this an excellent place to consider working in public health.
An incredible 22% of the population remains uninsured, which is deeply concerning for public health professionals across the country. Florida is currently ranked number 22 on the list of states with the highest poverty levels, which places it a little higher than the median. If you are considering a career path that can make a difference in the lives of others in this state, public health is definitely a worthwhile consideration.
Florida has 80 MPH programs available from various universities. Depending on your location, you may find MPH programs that are within your vicinity or in an online setting. MPH concentrations include Behavioral Science & Health Education, Epidemiology & Biostatistics, General Public Health, and Environmental & Occupational Health. Universities offering these degree programs include the University of Florida, Florida A & M University, Florida International University, the University of Miami, and Nova Southeastern University.
Public Health School Spotlights
The University of Florida and the University of South Florida lead the way with the most public health programs offered at each university.
The University of Florida, located in Gainesville, has public health degree offerings at each degree level. With a bachelors in health science or public health, as well as different masters and PhD degrees in different concentrations such as health administration, biostatistics, epidemiology, and environmental health science, there are numerous options.
The U of F also has a hybrid MHS/MOT offering in Occupational therapy, and an MPH offering that is entirely online - MPH in Public Health Practice and Social and Behavioral Sciences. No campus visit is required, and the tuition rate is flat, but they do have traditional enroll periods in the summer, fall, and spring. There are two options you can select for program length that is mostly dependent on what your bachelors degree is. U of F has offered an online MPH program since 2010 and as with most masters programs, the GRE is required for entry.
The University of South Florida, with an estimated 50% acceptance rate, is one of the largest universities in the state, with 41,000+ students enrolled in a wide range of programs. USF has a wide range of MPH offerings and is also one of the very few universities offering an online MPH degree program, with online specialties in epidemiology, public health practice, infection control, health safety & environment, and global disaster management.
For online students, USF has what they call a "Reduced Rate Program" that allows out-of-state students to take advantage of lower tuition while obtaining their online MPH degree.
USF also offers a bachelors in public health and a handful of PhD/doctorate programs in public health.
Online MPH Programs in Florida
The online MPH programs throughout the state of Florida can be a lifesaver for busy working professionals with no extra time for in-person courses. Online programs allow students to continue working through their current endeavors without having to sacrifice their precious time for furthering their education. Although education is extremely important in moving up the ladder, it needs to fit comfortably into the lives of students.
The diverse opportunities available from taking part in these programs go far beyond the expectations of online degree programs. CEPH accredited programs such as the MPH Generalist, Public Health Practice, Social & Behavioral Sciences, Global Disaster Management & Humanitarian Relief, Public Health Administration, and Infection Control are all found in online format through universities across the state. Florida A & M University, Florida International University, Nova Southeastern University, the University of Florida, the University of West Florida and the University of South Florida all offer the online option for their MPH degrees.
Epidemiologist Careers & Salary in Florida
In a state that is welcoming to people from all parts of the U.S. as well as from across seas, citizens of Florida concern themselves with their well-being as a consequence for their openness. Epidemiologists within this state work hard to determine the origination of different diseases as well as provide insight on how to thwart them. If you are interested in a proactive career field that can set you on track for lucrative careers in the future, epidemiology is an excellent choice. Take a look below at some of the earning figures collected for this field.
Florida Public Health Careers
- Average Salary: $79,180
- Salary Range: $47,610 to $108,840
- People Employed: 40