Colorado is an extremely health state in terms of activity. With the mountains and many outdoor activities, it is easy and accessible for Colorado residents to stay active, resulting in a very good obesity rating.
However, as a community, there are many public health indicators outside of the obesity ranking that show there is opportunity to make a different with the state if you are in the public health field. With an uninsured rank of 26 and a poverty percentage of 13%, there is some work to do to continue to advance the state.
- The online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University (MPH @ GW) prepares public health professionals to make a difference in communities around the world, helping students succeed in advancing the health of populations locally and globally. Complete your MPH in 12 months. GRE waivers available.
Click here for admissions information.
- UNC's Gillings School of Global Public Health, top-ranked on U.S. News' most recent list in 2015, offers an online Master of Public Health program, MPH @ UNC.
Click for admissions information from OnlineMPH.UNC.edu
- Southern New Hampshire University offers multiple public health programs online, including a online BS in Public Health and BS in Community Health Education, a MS in Public Health, and MS in Public Health - Global Health, which aligns to the competencies instituted by the Association of Schools and Programs in Public Health (ASPPH).
- At Purdue University, you can earn your Master of Public Health (MPH) Online at a university world-renowned for its accomplished faculty and research expertise. Study Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Health System Administration, Environmental Health, Behavioral Sciences, and more with the Online MPH, which can be completed in a little over two years. Purdue University’s Public Health Graduate Program is an applicant for accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Click for admissions information at Online.Purdue.edu
Overview of Public Health Degrees in Colorado
The Colorado School of Public Health is a great place to start if you are interested in playing a role in the increase in public health awareness. There are many different reasons why a degree in public health is a great option, including the preventative aspect of career fields within this domain. The state of Colorado, for instance, has a population of over 5.2 million. As the years progress, more people will flock to this state as a means for a better life and better opportunity.
The increase in people can mean an increase in the probability that illnesses and diseases become more prominent. Colorado currently ranks 35th in state poverty, with 14% of residents being uninsured. These figures are an indirect call for help from public health professionals across the state. By obtaining a degree in this field, you could play a role in the education of citizens and the fight against widespread illness and disease.
Public health professionals are needed to help ensure that people have the resources they need to protect themselves against threats to their well-being, as well as provide services to businesses and organizations to help make their services safer and more efficient. MPH programs in Colorado are widely available. There are currently 43 CEPH accredited MPH programs throughout the state - all of which are provided by the Colorado School of Public Health.
One university offering accredited CEPH programs is the Colorado School of Public Health in Aurora (just outside of Denver), but it does have multiple options, including multiple options for a masters in public health degree, and almost 10 options for doctorate-level programs.
Online MPH Programs in Colorado
While it is important to consider all options when choosing a degree program, most busy working professionals find online education the only reasonable path for furthering their capabilities in the field. Online MPH programs can provide students with the flexibility needed to continue working in their current position and provide due dates that are more accommodating to a busy schedule.
The state of Colorado current has 1 CEPH accredited MPH program available in online format. The MPH Leadership in Public Health Practice allows students to gain a better understanding of the management principles in this discipline, while still maintaining a normal life schedule. This degree program is excellent for professionals that have some experience working in the field of public health and have already completed a bachelor's degree prior to enrolling. This MPH program can be completed in 2-3 years, depending on how quickly students aim to complete their degree.
Many in Colorado choose an online public health degree
While the Colorado School of Public Health is an excellent choice for people that want to move to the Denver area or live there already, it does not yet have an online MPH (or BPH/DPH) option. View more on the most common online program in public health - the MPH - here, but with the accessibility most in the US have to the internet (especially the educated), an online MPH is becoming extremely common in the industry.
We recommend looking into multiple MPH programs - you can view more on the online MPH page mentioned above, and we have listings for some of the top featured programs within the site.
Epidemiologist Careers & Salary in Colorado
One of the most fascinating fields to work in with a MPH is epidemiology. In this career, professionals can investigate the creation, spread, and lifespan of different illnesses and diseases that plague certain areas of society. In an attempt to prevent massive spreads or help cure an outbreak altogether, professionals work closely with hospitals and pharmaceutical companies to find solutions that are safe for the public. If you are interested in being a part of this field, degree programs in Colorado are available for enrolling. While salaries can differ depending on where you work and the amount of experience you have in the field, common average salary information as well as the number of current professionals working in the field is listed below.
- Average Salary: $63,920
- Salary Range: $51,880 to $80,660
- People Employed: 320