California boasts the most public health degree programs (127 CEPH accredited programs total) in the United States. With 17+ universities offering varying degrees and concentrations in public health, there are a number of choices along the coast and inland to find a university.
California is an excellent choice for epidemiologists and public health professionals, and is far ahead of most states when it comes to data availability and public health information, both for professionals and residents.
With a number of job opportunities for all graduates, and useful tools and data for research and study, including the CDPH Open Data Portal, which utilizes open source data for developers to use within the public health industry, the state fully expects public health professionals to continue to better the health of the entire state.
- The online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University (MPH @ GW) prepares public health professionals to make a difference in communities around the world, helping students succeed in advancing the health of populations locally and globally. Complete your MPH in 12 months. GRE waivers available.
Click here for admissions information.
- UNC's Gillings School of Global Public Health, top-ranked on U.S. News' most recent list in 2015, offers an online Master of Public Health program, MPH @ UNC.
Click for admissions information from OnlineMPH.UNC.edu
- At Purdue University, you can earn your Master of Public Health (MPH) Online at a university world-renowned for its accomplished faculty and research expertise. Study Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Health System Administration, Environmental Health, Behavioral Sciences, and more with the Online MPH, which can be completed in a little over two years. Purdue University’s Public Health Graduate Program is an applicant for accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Click for admissions information at Online.Purdue.edu
- The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health offers fully online, part-time master’s degree and certificate programs, designed for working professionals. The Online Programs for Applied Learning (OPAL) focus on emergent industry sectors that have a resounding need for highly skilled professionals. These flexible, online graduate programs are currently offered in the fields of Patient Safety and Healthcare Quality, Population Health Management and Spatial Analysis, and can be completed in as little as 2 years. Request Information.
Top Universities for Public Health in California
The University of Southern California has pioneered the public health education in California and throughout the country with online Masters of Public Health and online Masters of Public Administration degrees. Considering many graduate degree-seeking individuals have full-time jobs, these solutions are outstanding for employees. USC Public Health and Administration programs are also ideal for recent undergraduate students holding a public health or related degree.
Additionally, the California State University System has a number of public health programs. The University of California - Berkeley is well-renowned for its public health program, particularly its MPH program.
Overview of Public Health Degrees in California
California is known for its luxurious beaches and beautiful scenery. People residing in this state are part of an enormous population of over 38 million. In the next decade, it is likely that there will continuously be a growth in the amount of people within this area, marking the need for plenty of public health professionals.
At the current time, the rate of uninsured people throughout the state of California is at a staggering 18%. With the state's poverty percentage being at 16%, the public health concerns are at an all-time high. If you are considering a career path working with the public, public health is a great place to start. California offers students 102 degree options, with specializations such as Public Health Nutrition, Community Health & Education, Environmental Health Sciences, Epidemiology, Global Health, and Infectious Diseases.
There are multiple colleges that offer MPH programs, some being more convenient based on your current location. San Diego State University, the University of California at Berkeley, Loma Linda University, and the University of Southern California are just a few of the colleges available for registration today.
Online MPH Programs in California
If the added convenience of online education is what you seek, California has 15 great options for you to choose from. MPH programs focusing on Community Health Education, Health Education, Lifestyle Management, Population Medicine, Health Promotion & Behavioral Science, Biostatistics & Epidemiology, and Global Health Leadership are available through online degree programs. With all of these options available for your concentration, you can have the choice to pursue several different ventures in your career. Public health has a drastic effect on many diverse areas within society.
Common MPH Specializations
Depending on what interests you, specializations are available to fit. Completing your degree online can include some newer aspects of educational technology, such as the use of online discussion boards, virtual lectures, and independent research assignments. Online degree programs are taught by the same professionals as traditional classes, and can match them equally in quality. Online MPH programs provided by the University of Southern California, San Jose State University, the University of San Francisco, California State University, and Loma Linda University are accredited by the CEPH, making them an excellent choice for your higher education.
Outlook for Public Health in California
The outlook for public health in California is outstanding. Already one of the more populous states, California has an ample number of opportunities. Considering the shortage in the public health career field, the overall diverse population, and the resources the state of California is providing to professionals in the field, it is one of the top states to work as a public health official.
Epidemiologist Careers & Salary in California
With the gigantic population of California, it is easy to assume that the need for seasoned public health professionals is on the rise. With so many people living so close together in the popular state, it is important the professionals have knowledge of different illnesses and diseases and have the skills to educate citizens about how to prevent them from affecting their lives. Epidemiology is a huge part of what keeps the people of California safe from widespread illnesses. If you are interested in pursuing this aspect of public health, take a look at some of the salary information below.
- Average Salary: $86,960
- Salary Range: $56,130 to $135,890
- People Employed: 750