Alabama has 38 total CEPH-accredited public health degree programs in the state, offered at the University of Alabama.
There are other public health or public administration programs in the state that are accredited, such as South University and University of Phoenix. Additionally, people in Alabama interested in public health often look into healthcare administration as a field of interest.
You might also consider online public health programs, which are widely offered across the United States, especially at the MPH/Master's level.
- The online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University (MPH @ GW) prepares public health professionals to make a difference in communities around the world, helping students succeed in advancing the health of populations locally and globally. Complete your MPH in 12 months. GRE waivers available.
Click here for admissions information.
- UNC's Gillings School of Global Public Health, top-ranked on U.S. News' most recent list in 2015, offers an online Master of Public Health program, MPH @ UNC.
Click for admissions information from OnlineMPH.UNC.edu
- The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health offers fully online, part-time master’s degree and certificate programs, designed for working professionals. The Online Programs for Applied Learning (OPAL) focus on emergent industry sectors that have a resounding need for highly skilled professionals. These flexible, online graduate programs are currently offered in the fields of Patient Safety and Healthcare Quality, Population Health Management and Spatial Analysis, and can be completed in as little as 2 years. Request Information.
- At Purdue University, you can earn your Master of Public Health (MPH) Online at a university world-renowned for its accomplished faculty and research expertise. Study Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Health System Administration, Environmental Health, Behavioral Sciences, and more with the Online MPH, which can be completed in a little over two years. Purdue University’s Public Health Graduate Program is an applicant for accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Click for admissions information at Online.Purdue.edu
Overview of Public Health Degrees in Alabama
In Alabama, students interested in pursuing a degree in Public Health can find a wealth of opportunity through online degree programs. Different degree programs can be found throughout the state, depending on what level of degree a student is seeking and what type of concentration is sought. Public health degrees may be found at the undergraduate level, but the majority of popular programs in this state are at the master's level and higher. Students that are interested in pursuing the MPH online should consider universities that offer accredited and reliable programs within Alabama.
The University of Alabama at Birmingham currently offers the MPH online with specialties including Epidemiology, Environmental Health & Toxicology, Maternal and Child Health Policy and Leadership, Health Behavior, Health Care Organization, Occupational Health & Safety, and Industrial Health. With the state poverty percentage being tallied at 16% and 15% of the 4.8 million and growing population being uninsured, public health is a needed specialty for those within this state.
Online MPH Programs in Alabama
The most prominent online MPH program in the state of Alabama is found at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. This university is known for its reputable and accredited degree programs that cater to the needs of busy professionals. Through online learning, students can enjoy the convenience of learning from home, while still having time to pursue full-time employment. Online MPH programs through this university can take 2-3 for completion, depending on the number of hours that students can comfortably enroll in each semester.
During the course of the experience, students may take part in research projects, lab experimentation, and online discussions. This university may also require students to register for supervised work experience within their region, which can add to their individual expertise in the field. This program provides students with the option of pursuing a variety of different specialties, which encompass the need for public health awareness in disease control, women and family health, and work safety. The online programs through UAB are accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH), making this an excellent school to enroll in.
Epidemiologist Careers & Salary in Alabama
Alabama residents rely heavily on the expertise of public health professionals to ensure the health and safety of their friends and families. One career field in particular, epidemiology, provides delicate insight into how diseases form, are transmitted, and dealt with in dense societies.
Through investigative testing and research, epidemiologists provide important data that pertains to the affected population of certain diseases, methods of transmission of different illnesses and diseases, and proper treatments that are needed in the event of a large-scale outbreak. This career field is popular among public health students and provides career opportunities in research, healthcare, and local government. Salary figures and employment data are listed below.
- Average Salary: $62,390
- Salary Range: $45,820 to $77,250
- People Employed: 40