A Master of Public Health (MPH) is a graduate level degree designed to prepare professionals to work for the general public to improve health for the entire population. Many professionals with an MPH work for non-profit or government organizations, others work for different hospital groups or other for profit businesses.
Some MPH programs require a concentration or track in:
- Environmental Health
- Health Policy and Administration
- Social and Behavioral Sciences
There are also generalist tracks available for MPH students who want a more holistic educational experience.
CEPH Accredited MPH Programs
Some MPH programs are accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH). CEPH is an independent agency recognized by the U.S. Department of Education that sets standards and requirements for public health education. While it is currently not a requirement for a public health program to be CEPH accredited in the U.S., some employment opportunities may only be available to individuals who graduate from a CEPH accredited program. Additionally, the National Board of Public Health Examiners (NBPHE) offers a national credentialing exam only to these CEPH accredited program graduates.
Consider a featured online master's in public health program, currently accepting applicants:
- The online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University ([email protected]) prepares public health professionals to make a difference in communities around the world, helping students succeed in advancing the health of populations locally and globally.
Complete your MPH in 12 months. GRE waivers available.
- UNC's Gillings School of Global Public Health, the No. 1-ranked Public School of Public Health, offers an online Master of Public Health program, [email protected]. Earn your master’s degree in as few as 24 months. Part-time and full-time program options are available. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required to apply.
Click for admissions information from OnlineMPH.UNC.edu
- The Master of Public Health (MPH) online program from Baylor University, [email protected], offers a specialization in Community Health. Improve quality of life in Texas communities and around the world. The program can be completed in as few as 18 months. No GRE required.
Learn more from [email protected]
- MPH @ Simmons, the online Master of Public Health program from Simmons College, prepares students to become public health practitioners and address health inequity at a local, national, and global level. The program can be completed in 21 months. No GRE required to apply.
Click for admissions information.
A Note on CEPH Accreditation
Institutions and programs in the United States, those abroad, and even those online may or may not be accredited by the CEPH, but there are other accrediting bodies for public health programs. In your research for your master’s in public health, be sure to check with any universities you are interested in about their accreditation. On this website, we only place universities that are accredited.
We provide school listings of both on-campus and online public health programs. An online MPH could be a fit for an individual who desires to work while in school or their public health program of choice would require the individual to move.
Consider a Featured Online Public Health Program
|School and Program Information||Online Program?||GRE Requirements||Time for Completion|
|George Washington University
Online MPH, Online MHI, Online MHA
|check_circle Online||GRE Waivers Available||As little as 12 months|
|University of North Carolina
The University of North Carolina's Gillings School of Global Public Health is an Accredited School of Public Health under the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
|check_circle Online||GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores required||As few as 20 months|
The service-oriented Master of Public Health online program from Baylor University is now accepting applications.
|check_circle Online||No GRE Required||As few as 12 months|
Develop the methodological, leadership, and advocacy skills needed to address health inequity during our 21-month program.
|check_circle Online||No GRE Required||As little as 2 years|
International MPH Programs
International schools and programs may be a better option for someone interested in international public health. International public health programs may differ from other public health programs because of its wider impact focus. The World Health Organization (WHO) and the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) are examples of international public health organizations and initiatives. Currently there are five countries that have CEPH accredited programs: Mexico, Canada, Puerto Rico, Lebanon and West Indies.
National Board of Public Health Examiners (NBPHE) Credential
After you have chosen and completed an MPH degree, you may be wondering if there are any more steps required to display your expertise within your field. Like most other fields, credentialing could be vital to showing that you are vested in your field. The National Board of Public Health Examiners is a certification agency that specializes in providing certification for public health professionals all over the country. This organization seeks to ensure that graduates have received adequate education within different core areas such as biostatistics, environmental science, health policy, and behavioral science. Most students meet these requirements through their enrollment in CEPH-accredited degree programs.
If you want to pursue certification through the NBPHE, you will be expected to fall into one of the categories listed below.
- Students that are currently enrolled in a CEPH-accredited graduate program
- Graduates of CEPH-accredited MPH or DPH programs
- Graduates that hold a BPH and have a minimum of 5 years work experience in the field of public health
In addition to educational and work experience requirements, applicants for certifications are expected to register for and complete a certification exam for public health professionals through the NBPHE. This examination consists of concepts and ideas that are applicable to public health positions within many different professional settings. Once you have completed the NBPHE examination, you can become certified as a public health professional. In order to maintain this certification over the course of your career, you may need to stay up-to-date with requirements.