The Masters in Communications Disorders is a specialty degree program that is directed towards finding creative methods for increasing communication abilities in people that have been diagnosed with communication disorders. This degree program is geared towards identifying communication delays and providing therapeutic support in an effort to increase an individual's ability to speak freely and effectively.
The Master's in Communication Disorders is a specific degree. Only a couple programs exist in the United States, as this area is highly specific. You may consider an Online MPH program if there is not a campus near you offering a MCD degree.
Click the university name for information on admissions, courses, status of accreditation, and more
- George Washington University Milken Institute School of Public Health MPH Earn Your MPH Online in 12 Mos.
- University of North Carolina - Online MPH Ranked #1 public school of public health by U.S. News & World Report
- Purdue University - Online Master of Public Health (MPH) No. 5 Top Public University in the U.S. *WSJ/THE
- Regis University Online MPH- No GRE Required, 2 Concentration Tracks, Complete in as few as 7 semesters
What is the Masters in Communications Disorders Degree
MCD programs are designed to prepare learners to become effective speech-language pathologists in the field. The curriculum of these programs include courses that outline the natural development of speech from infancy to adulthood, the development of communicative delays, and the different methods available for increasing a person's ability to speak.
How Does This Degree Relate to Public Health?
The ability to speak is part of a person's identity. This is how people communicate their needs, desires, and opinions on a regular basis. In terms of overall health, communication can play a role in communicating one's needs to others. The need for effective communication aligns with public health in that a person's ability to speak is their tool to having a fulfilling and happy lifestyle.
Speech-language pathology is an interesting field within public health. Professionals that are employed within this field can help individuals find better means for communicating and provide remedies for barriers or biological factors that are standing in their way. This sector of individual health helps to identify environmental factors, biological factors, or background information that may play a role in the development of communication delays.
Since this degree program is highly focused on improving the communication of patients, it contributes to the field of public health as a whole. Any field that can have a direct impact on the quality of care that patients receive in a clinical setting have a place within public health.
What Online MCD Degree Options Are There?
There are many different online MPH options for students, and only several MCD options for students that are interested in pursuing careers within this field. Our team of experts has located a couple of universities that offer this program completely online. Students that are interested in applying to online degree programs should complete an undergraduate degree program in a related field prior to applying. Check out the list of schools below.
- Western Kentucky University: WKU has an innovative MCD program that can provide further education into the difficulties and struggles faced by people with communication disorders. This program is especially helpful for students that are interested in becoming certified as speech pathologists within their state or are looking for advanced education within their current domain.
- Florida State University: The MCD at FSU helps students understand the importance of communication in terms of overall human health. This school helps student identify different factors associated with speech delays, develop treatment plans, and implement change to help increase the quality of life for the people that are affected by these conditions.
What Career Options Are There For This Degree?
Having a dense knowledge of communication - from acquisition into adulthood - can lead to many interesting careers in the field. You could potentially work one-on-one with clients that are working to increase their communication skills, help develop all-inclusive educational programs to promote better communication, or even teach others that are interested in becoming speech specialists. Look at some of the common job titles available to graduates of this degree program below.
- Speech Language Pathologist
- Speech Teacher
- Research Scientist
- Education Specialist
- Speech Therapist