Students that require even more flexibility with their degree program may be more suitable for online Executive MPH programs. The rise in popularity of online degree programs over the last decade may be attributed to the need for constant full-time employment and the increase in the cost of living. The reliability of these programs is up to par with what is expected of college degree programs, which can help you comfortably make the decision to enroll in and complete them.
These online programs usually require that students commit around 2 years to completing them. While in these programs, students can learn more about the policies that cover the field of public health, the methods for researching and providing data on the health of the nation, and the many different areas that can be affected by public health research. Depending on the university you choose, you may be required to take part in an in-person practicum or internship. Most degree programs at this level allow students to choose a specialization alongside the standard degree program, which can give students even more knowledge into specific fields of public health.
- The online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University ([email protected]) prepares public health professionals to make a difference in communities around the world, helping students succeed in advancing the health of populations locally and globally.
Complete your MPH in 12 months. GRE waivers available.
- UNC's Gillings School of Global Public Health, the No. 1-ranked Public School of Public Health, offers an online Master of Public Health program, [email protected]. Earn your master’s degree in as few as 24 months. Part-time and full-time program options are available. GRE, GMAT or MCAT scores are required to apply.
Click for admissions information from OnlineMPH.UNC.edu
- The Master of Public Health (MPH) online program from Baylor University, [email protected], offers a specialization in Community Health. Improve quality of life in Texas communities and around the world. The program can be completed in as few as 18 months. No GRE required.
Learn more from [email protected]
- MPH @ Simmons, the online Master of Public Health program from Simmons University, prepares students to become public health practitioners and address health inequity at a local, national, and global level. The program can be completed in 21 months. No GRE required to apply.
Click for admissions information.
What is an Executive MPH?
In terms of educational programs, the field of public health is well-covered in states all over the country. There are many diverse options for students that are interested in this field, some programs being offered in person while others online. Executive MPH programs are a special type of degree program that was designed for individuals that are currently working in public health positions. Executive programs are available in both traditional and online format, which is great for students that have a complex work schedule that may be difficult to work around.
If you were to consider this type of program, there are a few things that you might need before applying. After reviewing a few universities that offer the Executive MPH, our team of researchers has determined that professionals may need a minimum of 2 to 3 years of work experience in the field of public health in order to qualify for these degree programs. Traditional Executive MPH programs may consist of courses that take place in the evening or on weekends, with some universities even offering a majority of courses during the summer semester to help accommodate for a heavy work load.
These programs typically require students to complete 2 years of graduate-level course work prior to graduating. Course work is typically paired with a practicum or in-person session requirement that can help expand a student's knowledge of the subject matter. The courses that are covered throughout this program may include those that seek to refine leadership skills, as well as those that build upon knowledge that can be gained through working in relevant positions in the field.
What Courses Can You Expect with an Executive MPH?
Executive MPH programs can come in many different shapes and sizes. One thing that is common in these programs is the implementation of specializations. Students can often choose a path that can change the way that their curriculum is structured. Although there may be a variation in the types of classes they take throughout the entire program, there are still many core courses that may be required for graduation.
The list below represents some of the common core courses that may be found in these programs. Students can expect to spend a significant amount of time learning about the different aspects of the environment that can take a toll on public health, as well as the different methods of prevention and awareness that are present throughout the public health field. Read more below to see some of the common courses found in this program.
- Environmental Health: This course is a great foundation course for students that are interested in many different areas of public health. Environmental health consists of various components that affect the state of the environment, such as pollution, exposures, and man-made interferences. Students enrolled in this course can also learn about how the natural and man-made environment can take a toll on overall public health, which leads the way to creating beneficial prevention plans to help protect people throughout the country.
- Epidemiology: In order to be an effective public health professional, students should understand human disease, its prevalence, and the statistics surrounding them. Epidemiology can help students better understand where diseases are formed, how people come in contact with them, and how widespread these diseases are. This course helps to teach students how to plan, create, and implement helpful experiments or studies that can provide more information into these diseases and their effects on the human race. Case studies, measurement methods for disease occurrence, interactions, and tables are just some of the topics that may be taught while in this course.
- Issues in Global Health: Public health is not limited to the United States. In order to fully understand the influence of the environment, society, and the government, students must investigate public health all over the world. This course helps students understand the methods that are used in researching and applying data from worldwide studies into their data on public health. Specific analyses that may be conducted in this course may include those surrounding widespread illnesses such as population growth, infant mortality, and communicable disease.
- Public Health Informatics: This course can teach students about the influence of informatics on the field of public health. Students that enroll can learn more about the information management techniques that are helpful in this field, as well as the various technologies and methods that are available for use by public health professionals. Some of the common topics in this course may include data storage, retrieval, and usage. The design of this course was created to accommodate for professionals that have experience working in the field. Most students that enroll in this course have little to no background in information technology or computer information systems.
- Biostatistics: The field of public health has many diverse areas of interest for upcoming students. One particular area that introduces mathematics into the research and prevention of disease is biostatistics. This course is a great way to blend aspects from applied statistics with public health research, which can help students understand better ways of collecting and interpreting data about their social environment. Some topics that may be discussed throughout this course can include descriptive statistics, proportions, linear regression, and correlation. Students may be responsible for using data processing software as part of this course's requirements.
- Data Management: Since computer information systems are often used to store and retrieve important public health data, students may be required to take courses that can help introduce them to these systems. In this course, students can learn more about the terminology that is used in public health practice and research, methods for data management, and programs that are available for data storage and usage. Students that are enrolled in this course may be given the opportunity to perform their own investigations to collect data, store them in proper systems, and retrieve relevant data when needed. As part of the course requirements, students may also be required to analyze data from different sources in order to come to a common conclusion.
How Long is a Typical Executive MPH?
This executive program is designed for current professionals in the field. With that being said, it is easy to assume that the program may last longer than other MPH programs in order to allow for flexible scheduling at manageable increments. However, most Executive MPH degree programs can be completed in comparable timeframes, which is what may draw in so many professionals each year.
Our team of educational experts has reviewed some of the highest enrolled degree programs in public health. The result of this research was a finding that most Executive MPH programs can be completed in around 1.5 to 2 years. This is a exciting fact for upcoming students that want a quick way to advance their careers in the field of public health.
3 Different Schools with Online Executive MPH Programs
Your search for the perfect school can be easier than you think. Online degree programs are becoming a new norm for working professionals that want to pursue greater endeavors throughout their career. Depending on the type of specialization you desire and the type of work experience you have in the field, you may find that some programs offer more for what you are looking for. It is important to review each college to ensure that you are receiving the best deal financially and academically.
Educational programs in public health are extremely important to the well-being of society. What you learn throughout these programs can help drive you to provide a better service to the people that you serve, which is why quality is such a big issue for upcoming students. Our team of educational experts has reviewed and researched some of the leading online Executive MPH programs to provide you with a few of the most popular. Each of the programs below can provide you with the information needed to pursue a fascinating and profitable career in public health. Take a look at the list of schools below.
- The University of Washington: At the University of Washington, students can engage in a mostly-online Executive MPH program that can help sharpen their skills within the field and prepare them for intense careers in public health. In order to complete this 2 year program, students must complete 43 core credits, 8 elective credits, 3 credits of practicum, and 9 credits of capstone or thesis. Some of the topics that may be covered throughout this program can include Epidemiology, Statistics, Health Promotion, and Occupational Health. The practicum requirement for this program requires that students partake in in-person work experience at a public health agency of their choice.
- Emory University: Emory University's Rollins School of Public Health currently offers an online Executive MPH for professionals currently in the field. Students that choose this program can choose from 3 different tracks, including Applied Epidemiology, Applied Public Health Informatics, or Prevention Science. These programs take around 2 years to complete for most students. There is an in-person requirement for these programs, which include face-to-face meetings on campus twice each semester. Students must complete 42 credit hours to complete this program, including courses such as Biostatistics, Social Behavior/Public Health, and Environmental Health.
- Morehouse School of Medicine: Morehouse School of Medicine has an incredibly diverse online Executive MPH program for students that qualify. In order to apply to this program, you must have at least 2 years of work experience in the field of public health, and have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0. This program can provide maximum flexibility for learners and can be completed in as little as 18 months. The 48 credit hour requirement for this program includes courses that focus on leadership practice in public health, public health epidemiology, and public health research. Students that enroll in and complete this program may be suitable for management positions in the field of public health after graduation.
What Can You Do with an MPH?
What you do with your MPH degree totally depends on your interests. The field of public health is extremely widespread and covers many different areas within society. There are careers that can allow you to collect data and provide research that can improve overall public health, teach others about public health and its many factors, and lead a team of experts in providing healthcare to the public. The list below represents some of the most common job titles held by professionals in this field. The salaries are averages and can vary depending on your level of education, experience, and the area in which you live.