Home to the oldest state university in the country, North Carolina has always had a history of finer education. North Carolina has 21 MPH programs throughout the state at universities such as East Carolina University, the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and Lenoir-Rhyne University.
Through the MPH programs, there are 15 available concentrations as well as joint degree programs to go alongside MD, MRP, and PharmD programs. The outstanding 9.8 million population of North Carolina requires delicate insight in the care and prevention of ailments that can have an effect on public health. North Carolina is pretty well covered when it comes to breadth of options and locations of the campus based public health programs. The state also ranks pretty well in its public health indicator ranks when compared against the other 50 states in the country.
With organizations such as the North Carolina Public Health Foundation fundraising in excess of $5 million since 2006 to support the North Carolina Department of Public Health programs, it is obvious that the state is serious about maintaining its quality ranks.
For someone looking to go into public health or to continue your education, it is a great sign to have independent organizations raise funds to assist with the public health for the community.
- The online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University (MPH @ GW) prepares public health professionals to make a difference in communities around the world, helping students succeed in advancing the health of populations locally and globally. Complete your MPH in 12 months. GRE waivers available.
Click here for admissions information.
- UNC's Gillings School of Global Public Health, top-ranked on U.S. News' most recent list in 2015, offers an online Master of Public Health program, MPH @ UNC.
Click for admissions information from OnlineMPH.UNC.edu
- Southern New Hampshire University offers multiple public health programs online, including a online BS in Public Health and BS in Community Health Education, a MS in Public Health, and MS in Public Health - Global Health, which aligns to the competencies instituted by the Association of Schools and Programs in Public Health (ASPPH).
- At Purdue University, you can earn your Master of Public Health (MPH) Online at a university world-renowned for its accomplished faculty and research expertise. Study Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Health System Administration, Environmental Health, Behavioral Sciences, and more with the Online MPH, which can be completed in a little over two years. Purdue University’s Public Health Graduate Program is an applicant for accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Click for admissions information at Online.Purdue.edu
Overview of Public Health Degrees in North Carolina
According to state rankings, North Carolina ranks 15th in poverty rankings with 16% of the population living under the poverty line.
The state ranks 12th in state uninsured rankings, since 17% of the population does not carry personal insurance. Public health is a primary concern for professionals and lawmakers in North Carolina. Within the refined insight into helpful health programs, healthcare improvement, workplace safety, and disease prevention, the large population of this state would constantly be under a dangerous threat to overall health and wellness. If public health sounds like a field that you could be a dedicated member of, one of the many MPH programs throughout the state may be the best option for you.
Campus Based Public Health Programs
The state of North Carolina has multiple options in multiple locations for public health degree programs, and between the 4 universities offering accredited programs, they have each and every degree level covered.
Most programs are masters level (which is the most common degree offering according to our research), and so far every program we have come across in North Carolina is only taught on the university campus.
For those living in rural areas of North Carolina that are not interested in traveling, particularly for masters or higher degrees, consider using our public health degree search to find an online program.
Online MPH Programs in North Carolina
Busy college students are always looking for ways to better manage their time. Flexibility, convenience, and time conservation are huge factors that plague the average student. In online degree programs, this worry is lessened due to the ease of access of these programs through the state of North Carolina. Lenoir-Rhyne University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill have 3 MPH programs available in an online setting.
MPH concentrations include Community Health, Global Track, and Public Health Leadership. Through innovating online courses, you can access homework, tests, and communication with classmates, making your experience in education even more pleasant. Online MPH programs through this state are CEPH accredited, meaning they have been reviewed and approved by licensed accreditation agencies. Choosing a MPH program with accreditation can help to ensure that you receive an education that is valid and relevant in the field of public health.
Epidemiologist Careers & Salary in North Carolina
As seen in the data below, becoming an epidemiologist in the state of North Carolina can be a well-providing choice for upcoming students. Epidemiology is a fascinating field within the realm of public health that uses different forms of data collection and testing to determine how diseases are formed and transmitted throughout society. The evidence provided by this field is used to develop effective intervention plans within certain areas in the community, research different prevention options, and assist with protecting the public from the dangers of mass illness. If you want to be a part of the amazing field, degree programs throughout North Carolina can assist you along your way.
- Average Salary: $67,660
- Salary Range: $47,150 to $117,650
- People Employed: 100