Iowa is an ideal place to settle in for a lifetime of great living. The people within this area value their health and happiness, making public health a helpful place to find a career. For people that desire a career in public health, the MPH degree path is the most fitting.
Overview of Public Health Degrees in Iowa
Most careers require a minimum of a master's degree in order to get only the most qualified applicants. Residents of the state of Iowa that wish to pursue MPH degrees have a wide range of options. At universities such as Des Moines University and the University of Iowa, there are 22 MPH programs with concentrations that include Quantitative Methods, Health Communication, Community & Behavioral Health, Epidemiology, Policy, Occupational & Environmental Health, Ergonomics, and even specializations for practicing veterinarians.
Since the population of Iowa has grown to nearly 3.1 million, the need for educated public health professionals is on the rise. In terms of state poverty rankings, Iowa is ranked 45th, which is relatively low in comparison to other states throughout the country. However, 10% of the population current lives without health insurance, highlighting a serious flaw that could lead to negative health-related effects for those within the statistic.
- The online Master of Public Health (MPH) program from the Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University (MPH @ GW) prepares public health professionals to make a difference in communities around the world, helping students succeed in advancing the health of populations locally and globally. Complete your MPH in 12 months. GRE waivers available.
Click here for admissions information.
- UNC's Gillings School of Global Public Health, top-ranked on U.S. News' most recent list in 2015, offers an online Master of Public Health program, MPH @ UNC.
Click for admissions information from OnlineMPH.UNC.edu
- At Purdue University, you can earn your Master of Public Health (MPH) Online at a university world-renowned for its accomplished faculty and research expertise. Study Epidemiology, Biostatistics, Health System Administration, Environmental Health, Behavioral Sciences, and more with the Online MPH, which can be completed in a little over two years.
Purdue University’s Public Health Graduate Program is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Click for admissions information at Online.Purdue.edu
- Regis College’s online Master of Public Health (MPH) can prepare you to meet these and other emerging challenges on a local, state, or national level. With 2 concentrations in Epidemiology and Health Policy and Management, you can Apply with No GRE and the program can be completed in as few as 7 semesters.
Click for admissions information at RegisCollege.edu.
Another featured sponsored program, The Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, offers fully online, part-time master’s degree and certificate programs, designed for working professionals. The Online Programs for Applied Learning (OPAL) focus on emergent industry sectors that have a resounding need for highly skilled professionals. These flexible, online graduate programs are currently offered in the fields of Patient Safety and Healthcare Quality, Population Health Management and Spatial Analysis, and can be completed in as little as 2 years.
Online MPH Programs in Iowa
The implementation of online degree programs has changed the way that people view higher education. While traditional universities and in-person courses have been the normal throughout time, online degree programs are growing in popularity for both new college students and returning adults.
For public health prospects, online degree programs can allow for consistent employment and the responsibilities that are present for most busy adults. It is easier than ever to find the time to pursue dreams of obtaining a higher degree, especially for those in the public health domain. Different universities throughout Iowa offer students different options on their path to career success. Des Moines University current offers a CEPH-accredited MPH - Generalist degree program that is excellent for students that wish to touch on many different aspect of public health.
The University of Iowa Veterinary MPH
At the University of Iowa, the unique MPH - Practicing Veterinarians degree program is available for those that have already obtain licensure as a veterinarian in their area. If you want to pursue a higher degree in public health but you do not feel as if you can manage your current responsibilities with the added burden of school - online MPH programs are probably ideal.
Epidemiologist Careers & Salary in Iowa
The career spotlight for MPH programs lies in those in epidemiology. This field contributes large magnitudes of data for the purpose of public health. One of the most challenging aspects of maintaining public health and wellness is dealing with widespread disease. As an epidemiologist, you could help to identify the starting points, causes, and reasons for rapid spread of different diseases and illnesses in your state. You could work for hospitals or public health agencies that specialize in the prevention of dangerous diseases. Take a look below at some of the Iowa-specific data for this profession.
- Average Salary: $65,460
- Salary Range: $51,990 to $111,300
- People Employed: 40